1) Daily Beast’s The National Book Awards Longlist For Fiction. Ah yes, that time of year when I’m reminded how many books I haven’t read. Well, only all of them. Like, why bother anymore. “Because” shall be some kind of subset of Bridget Jones’ resolution to stop buying books just to display impressively on bookshelves: No more linking of stuff I probably never intended to read anyway.
2) I did however skim this: The Social Life Of Genes. Betcha didn’t know it’s not a good idea to eat a banana next to a beehive (bees’ “alarm” pheromone apparently smells of bananas – you see the lengths I go to, to entertain The Rockstars). Anyway entomologist Gene Robinson switches 250 young African killer bees with 250 young European milder bees in their hives to challenge the theory that you are born who you are: He proves your environment can change your genes and therefore behavior, dimming the traits of certain genes and enhancing others. For applications think cancer genes. At least, if you’re a bee. Hopefully eventually even if you’re not.
3) Should you Friend your child on Facebook? Author of The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age spends 3 years interviewing kids aged 4 – 18 “to get a sense of what makes a parent approachable and trustworthy.” There’s lotsa stuff I hope to read in detail but the verdict is: yes you should friend your child and check in just as you would if they were having a party in your living room. But you wouldn’t sit on the sofa the whole time…
4) Ok really picture-lite lemme try and make up for it:
Howl-oween costumes for pets, on gilt.com. I prefer “Why Dogs Bite”.
5) This one’s not a costume:
That’s Lil Bub, the cat born with various genetic defects including dwarfism which makes her too-short limbs useless for jumping and leaping like normal cats, 4 extra toes, and no teeth, which is why her tongue does that most of the time. She is also an internet celebrity. Way to work with the hand you’re dealt.
6) This one’s not a costume either:
This the Dog-brella from 30 Awesome Inventions.
7) More awesome inventions and ideas in 33 Amazing Home Ideas.
8) This week JD guest stars in the The Rockstars’ 5 second Good Weekend skit titled Feeding Time In The Rockstar Household.
Original Rockstar is sharing his snacks 3-ways these days because he’s the only one of the 3 of them who can raid the fridge. Have a wonderful weekend, dears…